University of California, San Francisco
San Francisco / California / U.S. / North America
- Professional Background
- Scholar, writer, researcher, evaluator and futurist. Two decades of collaborating with philanthropic and nonprofit leaders, policymakers, and public agencies to address complex problems.
- Areas of Expertise
- Public health and health care reform, research and evaluation, futures studies education.
- Other organisation memberships
- American Evaluation Association.
- Short Biography
- Trained as a political scientist with an emphasis on public health and futures studies. I am a faculty member in the School of Nursing and School of Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco. While most of my research and evaluation focuses on U.S. health policy and care delivery, I cast my net widely, including: media studies, advocacy and policy change, and healthy communities. Recently, Claire Brindis, DrPH, and I wrote Advocacy and Policy Change Evaluation: Theory and Practice published by Stanford University Press in April 2017. Our aim is to increase the effectiveness of advocacy on behalf of marginalized populations while strengthening evaluation practice. Trained at the Hawaii Research Center for Futures Studies, I teach a graduate-level futures studies course in the School of Nursing at the University of California, San Francisco. I am also a Senior Associate at the Institute for Alternative Futures.