Mission and Vision
The vision of APF is to be: the leading global organization of professional futurists.
By 2025, the APF will be the global forum of choice for knowledge, collaboration, and inspiration among practicing futurists seeking to create excellence in applied foresight. It will be known globally for promotion and development of applied futures thinking.
The mission of the APF is to:
- lead international discussion about professional futures practice,
- encourage the use of futures and foresight in strategic decision making,
- offer services, resources and training for foresight professionals to advance their skills and knowledge, and
- provide an avenue for end users to connect with APF members able to deliver futures-based services.
Reference Strategic Plan for more detail, below.
Students and the APF
You can read more about the benefits of APF membership for students in this article by futurist Verne Wheelwright, entitled “Futurist Students and the Association of Professional Futurists.” See also Student Recognition Program and brochure.
Overview of Strategic Plan
The APF Board held its third planning workshop January 2017 in Reston, Virginia to develop a strategic plan for 2017 – 2019. The majority of the 2014-2016 plan is complete. In those three years, the APF grew in size and vitality as a global community, bolstered its brand and online presence, and expanded gatherings to four continents. We will roll the plan out this year. In the meantime, the following notes describe the 2014 – 2016 plan.
The 2014 – 2016 Strategic Plan:
Prior to the workshop, we asked our members to contribute their views and opinions via a survey and the listserv. Both societal and individual practice issues rose to the top.
- the need to expand membership, add value offered to members, and strengthen the member community,
- recognition and relevance of the field externally and professionalization of the field, and
- APF leadership, financing, website and general operations.
While the last plan focused on establishing a vibrant community and robust organization, this plan extends the model for a more global and diverse membership while further developing applied foresight practices.
Core values were identified as: Collaboration, Professionalism, Collegiality, Innovation, and Inclusion.
Download Full Strategy Plan 2014 – 2016: APFStrategy2014-16 (rev10.15)
Contact our Board Chair if you have any questions about the plan.
1. Digital APF: Develop a dynamic online presence across platforms that serves members, the organization, and the public.
2. Global APF: Broaden membership and perception of APF as a global and diverse organization.
3. Global Gatherings: Generate greater opportunities for face-to-face sharing of knowledge and outreach.
4. APF Value: Continue to build a strong APF with effective leadership and organizational practices that ensures members can practise at a high professional level and be recognised leaders in futures and foresight work.
5. APF Connections: As a next priority, extend the APF’s public presence through external outreach, connections, and public information.